Nels Bjorkquist focuses his practice on assisting entrepreneurs and businesses address their employment law opportunities and challenges. Nels aggressively steps in when current or former employees file formal complaints over wages, hours, working conditions, scheduling, discipline, or discharge. Nels’ broad experience in employment law also includes drafting and revising employee handbooks, workplace policies, employment contracts, and covenants not to compete.
In addition to employment law, Nels represents businesses and their owners in a wide variety of litigation matters. From real estate boundary contests and complex contract disputes to unfair trade practice suits and tax challenges, Nels has a proven record for tough, focused litigation.
Nels also stands ready to direct and execute the winning strategy for his clients on appeal. As both an experienced appellate advocate and a former law clerk for the Wisconsin Supreme Court, Nels brings to each of his cases unmatched insight into the appellate courts’ internal procedures and decision making processes. Nels’ clients also benefit from his exemplary research and writing skills.
- Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Advocacy
- Administrative Rule Making
- Administrative Litigation
- Employment Law
Education & Professional Highlights
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S., 1996
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, J.D., 2001
- Bar Admissions: State Bars of Wisconsin and Florida
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Chicago, Ill.)
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (Atlanta, Ga.)
- US District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Northern District of Florida
- US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- US District Court, Southern District of Florida
Beyond The Firm
To further cultivate Milwaukee’s burgeoning small-business community, I volunteer for an entrepreneurial incubator and mentoring organization, the Wisconsin Women’s Business Initiative Corporation (WWBIC). I spent my early practice years in Sarasota and Tallahassee, Florida, but family ties drew me and my wife back to Milwaukee. It’s good to be home in Milwaukee, which features a diversified economy, a long tradition of industry and commerce, and a growing class of entrepreneurs. When I’m not helping business owners avoid or resolve challenges, I enjoy biking, hiking, and traveling with my wife and young son.
“The best victory is achieved without fighting.”
. . . but, when combat is necessary . . .
“[T]he victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won.”
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War