Nels Bjorkquist focuses his practice on assisting entrepreneurs and businesses address their employment law opportunities and challenges. Nels aggressively steps in when current or former employees file formal complaints over wages, hours, working conditions, scheduling, discipline, or discharge. Nels’ broad experience in employment law also includes drafting and revising employee handbooks, workplace policies, employment contracts, and covenants not to compete.
In addition to employment law, Nels represents businesses and their owners in a wide variety of litigation matters. From real estate boundary contests and complex contract disputes to unfair trade practice suits and tax challenges, Nels has a proven record for tough, focused litigation.
Nels also stands ready to direct and execute the winning strategy for his clients on appeal. As both an experienced appellate advocate and a former law clerk for the Wisconsin Supreme Court, Nels brings to each of his cases unmatched insight into the appellate courts’ internal procedures and decision making processes. Nels’ clients also benefit from his exemplary research and writing skills.
- Labor and Employment
- Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Advocacy
- Administrative Rule Making
- Administrative Litigation
Education & Professional Highlights
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S., 1996
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, J.D., 2001
- Bar Admissions: State Bars of Wisconsin and Florida
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Chicago, Ill.)
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (Atlanta, Ga.)
- US District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Northern District of Florida
- US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- US District Court, Southern District of Florida
Beyond The Firm
Raised near the shores of Pewaukee Lake, Nels is the firm’s resident sailor who can be seen on summer evenings sneaking down to McKinley Marina with his sailing gear when the Lake Michigan breezes are up. He spent his early practice years in Sarasota and Tallahassee, Florida, where he is still licensed, but family ties drew him and his wife to move back to Milwaukee’s East Side. When he’s not on the water or practicing his short golf game at Lake Park in preparation for the firm’s golf outings, Nels enjoys exploring Milwaukee’s historical sites, attending cultural events, and reading with his wife and their rescued pets.